Wednesday, August 5, 2009

RVs in Yellowstone

RVs in Yellowstone

Ok, you can say I feel this only because I cannot afford one. But I'm really frustrated with R.V.'s. I just returned from a wonderful visit to Yellowstone National Park. RVs are everywhere and they get bigger each year.

Part of me would love to own one. The other part says, "hey, this is ridiculous! These behemoths get five miles a gallon!' In the old days, we camped, We rented cabins, we stayed in hotels. Today we drag hotels (nice hotel suites with kitchens!) around the country with us. Where is the sense in this?

I'm frustrated partly because I cannot afford one, partly because they take up way too much parking space at every parking lot (try getting around the Old Faithful parking any weekend in August!), but because of the energy consumption. I try to save energy by biking into work etc. What for? These people are sucking up more of the world's resources than hundreds of people like me! I'm outnumbered! Outdone! What about conservation? What about freedom from the domination of foreign oil?

Well, I'll continue to bike into work, and till my little garden and camp in my little tent. At least I get to hear creek at night - that is, when the RVs aren't idling nearby!

No comments:

Post a Comment